Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern food made with chickpeas, herbs, and spices. It can be fried or even baked for a healthier option, which tastes incredible.
This can be served as a snack with tahini sauce or hummus, you can also stuff them in pita bread with salads and tahini sauce.
This homemade falafel recipe is absolutely delicious. It is a combination of chickpeas, herbs, and spices that are blended and fried or baked. They are crispy on the outside, moist, and fluffy on the inside.
Servings: 25 Falafels
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- 1 onion cubed
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup spring onion roughly chopped
- ½ cup coriander roughly chopped
- ½ cup mint roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ lime juice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- The night before, soak the chickpeas in water. Make sure the water covers the chickpeas by 3 inches, as they'll triple in size (Minimum 10 hours). Drain the soaked chickpeas completely and pat them dry.
- Add chickpeas, onion, garlic, herbs, and green chilies to a bowl of a food processor. Pulse it several times until the mixture resembles the texture of coarse sand. You can process the ingredients in batches if necessary.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add the salt, chili, cumin, pepper, coriander, and lime. Mix well to combine everything.
- Just before frying, add the baking powder, baking soda, and sesame seeds to the falafel mixture and combine well.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of the mixture and form into balls then flatten them slightly.
- To fry; Heat oil in a frypan on a medium flame. Fry the falafel in batches, placing them gently into the oil.
- To bake; Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place each falafel on prepped baking sheet. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Carefully flip the falafels and bake for another 6 – 8 minutes or until falafels are golden and cooked. Enjoy!
Spread the Joy 😋