This is my favorite homemade Black Forest Cake recipe. With a super moist cake all covered in whipped cream, chocolate ganache, and cherries.
The chocolate cake recipe comes from Steffi’s Recipes which was very simple. Black Forest Cake is a light, delightful, and perfect dessert for special occasions.
If you love this recipe try it out!
Black Forest Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 200 g butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ cup water + cherry syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- 200 g cherries plus 75g more for decorating
- 3 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 2 oz whipping cream
For the Chocolate Cake
- Sift all the dry ingredients together – flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients milk, eggs, butter, vanilla, and sugar to the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Divide the cake batter into two 9" round pans lined with parchment paper and bake it at 180 C for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
For the Cherry Syrup
- In a saucepan heat ½ cup cherry syrup with water and ½ cup sugar and bring to a boil for about a minute then let it cool completely.
- Slice the cherries in half, leaving a few whole cherries for garnish. Set aside.
For the Whipped Cream
- Whip the cold cream and powdered sugar at high speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- Heat cream until just steaming and pour over chocolate. Let sit 3 minutes then whisk until smooth.Let cool until slightly warm before pouring onto the chilled cake.
Assemble the cake
- Slice each cake in half, then place the first cake layer on the cake stand and drizzle ⅓ of the cherry syrup all over the cut halves, and spread about ¾ cup cream on top and spread it evenly. Then top with ⅓ of the chopped cherries and some shaved cholates all over the cream.Repeat the process with the other layers until the cake is assembled. Spread the remaining whipped cream on top and all around the sides in a thin layer using a palette knife and smooth out the whipped cream on the sides of the cake.Decorate the top with whipped cream, chocolate ganache, and whole cherries.Chill until the cream sets and enjoy your yummy cake!Enjoy!
Enjoy this delectable cake! 🍰